Wildlife ViewingMay 24, 2017
- Around the second week of March and mid-October, hundreds of thousands of snow geese and tens of thousands of trumpeter and tundra swans visit Freezout Lake Wildlife Management Area.
- From Choteau, take a 10-minute drive south on Highway 89 towards Fairfield/Great Falls and park in one of the pull off zones provided by Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
- Make sure your camera or binoculars are ready: the geese are easily spooked and could take flight for beautiful action shots at any moment!
- While you’re in town, plan on having dinner in Choteau the second Saturday in March; the Old Trail Museum hosts the annual Wild Game Feed!
- Curious about the status of the migration? Head to Montana’s Fish Wildlife, and Park Freezout Migration Tracker! It’s kept up to date during the fall and spring migrations!
- For the spring migration, our local FWP biologists update the counts starting in early March through mid-April.
- For the fall migration count updates get posted starting the first week of October through the end of November, depending on when the water hard freezes.
- Wild Wings Choteau 2024 is March 22-24
Celebrate Independence Day
Visit Choteau and experience Americana at its finest! Shop local artisans at the Choteau Soroptimist Summer Festival in City Park, and while you’re there, race duckies down Spring Creek! On the 3rd, grab an ice-cold Montana craft beer and enjoy […]
Go on a Dinosaur Dig
Have your jet standing by in Choteau and get “Jurassic.” Become a paleontologist for a day! Head to Bynum and visit the Montana Dinosaur Center! Visit the museum at the Dinosaur Center and see the real-life fossilized baby dinos that […]
Scenic Sunset Golf
Grab a golf cart and hit the links! Choteau is home to the most scenic golf course on the Front! Head up to the Choteau Country Club before dusk for one of the most breathtaking sunsets around. Enjoy the full-service […]
Catch a shuttle and skip the lift lines—head to Teton Pass Ski Resort about 20 miles north of Choteau. Experience the oh-so-rare continuous vertical. At a more leisurely pace, discover the alpine touring terrain and great backcountry skiing access. Yummy […]
Head toward the mountains for a chance to glimpse wildlife! Near Choteau, you could see herds of elk, whitetail and mule deer, grizzly and black bears, wolves, and a handful of smaller critters, like badgers and ground squirrels. You could […]